Nemp - Release notes
This is another slightly bigger update. It contains a few changes, some nice new features and a few bug fixes.
New features and improvements
- Customizable coverflow: The coverflow is now more customizable. Cover positions can be adjusted, reflection can be turned off or made less intense - and it now looks much better on light skins than before.
- Search for duplicates in the playlist: The playlist can be scanned for duplicate entries, making it easier to delete them.
- Revised file overview in the main window: The details displayed now make more sense for cue sheets and web radio, and the display can be limited to the currently playing track.
- Customizable display in the playlist, i.e. not always just "artist - title", but relatively freely selectable.
- Optional artificial pause between two titles. Practically the opposite function to "detect silence" and "crossfading".
- Support of Apev2 tags for mp3 files and support of ID3v1 tags in combination with Apev2 tags.
- For webradio, the current track is no longer stored in the playlist file.
- Some internal changes regarding saving settings.
- Some windows now have a different foreground behavior.
- Webradio was sometimes not saved correctly in the playlist.
- When changing skin not all star graphics were updated.
This is a slightly bigger update, with a few changes in Nemp's behavior in "special cases", some nice new features and a few bugfixes.
- The decision whether the settings are saved in the program directory or in the user directory is now made in a different way: Decisive is now the existence of the file UseLocalData.cfg in the Nemp folder.
The (portable) Zip-archive contains this file, the installer will install it according to your choice during the install process.
New features and enhancements
- Enhanced portability: Nemp now supports besides drive letter correction for external drives also installation in cloud directories by using relative paths in the media library (if possible). Both variants are optional. Both techniques are also fully supported in Nemp playlist format.
- Quick access to favourite playlists, including an editor and preview for these playlists.
- Improved Drag&Drop in the playlist. Copying files out of (or within) the playlist by holding down the Ctrl key.
- Better quality for covers in coverflow (configurable).
- Creation of QR codes for the URL of the web server, as well as some small improvements, changes and bugfixes on the web server
- Drag&Drop within the playlist of several titles simultaneously now moves all selected titles one after the other to the selected position.
- Nemp now behaves differently if the currently playing track is removed from the playlist. Next track is now the first entry of the playlist in this case.
- Handling of the search in the playlist changed. When typing, all hits are always marked with a symbol in the display, with F3 you can go through the hits, Enter plays the focused entry. As a “hidden feature” you can use Shift+Enter to select all hits and move them to a certain position in the playlist (or copy the files into a new directory).
- Under certain circumstances the playlist could not be saved
- Fixed some rare exceptions in the coverflow
Important Bugfix in 4.13.2
- Version 4.13.2 corrects a nasty bug that crept in during some changes for version 4.13. This could possibly cause data loss in the ID3 tag in individual titles when using the edit function in the main window (quick access to metadata required).
New features in 4.13
- Support for ReplayGain: Automatically adjust the loudness of tracks from different sources
- Reworked window "File properties": Uniformly editing of metadata in different file formats, read/write support for more different chunks of data within the metadata, cover art for the media library can be changed
- Improved update notifier: Display some more information about the update
- New Skin: "Diablo"
- File format for *.gmp (media library) and *.npl-Files (playlists) changed. Media libraries and playlists created with Nemp 4.13 can't be opened with Nemp 4.12 or lower. Conversion to the new format will be done automatically.
- moved some dll-files to sub folders
- some improvements to the GUI (e.g. some tweaks in the display of the playlist, birthday notifier)
- "Track" can now be bigger than 255
- cover art in the taskbar preview wasn't properly scaled in some cases
- fixed some minor memory leaks
- fixed some possible errors on some playlist operations while a background thread on the media library is running
- fixed a possible (but very unlikely and rare) crash while removing all files from the playlist
- some adjustment on parts of the code regarding meta data
New in 4.12
- Smoother scanning of metadata: the player remains responsive while searching for new files.
- Added "Wobble Playback" to the effects
- When re-reading all files, the main window behaved strangely with regard to resizing.
- Under certain circumstances it came to an unnecessary download of Coverart from the Internet
- Under very rare circumstances, parts of the metadata were unexpectedly overwritten.
- fixed icon for playlists in explorer, and (kinda) file type registration
New features in 4.11
The main change is the variable layout of the main window, which can be adapted to your own requirements using the Form Designer. However, this caused further changes.
- redesign of the control panel, which is now more similar to those in other players and should therefore be more intuitive
- Controls for effects and equalizers moved to a separate window
- Control for main playback and headphones now share some control elements; toggle via the buttons on the left side of the control panel
- Removed the lyrics display for the current title. Instead, optional display of lyrics (instead of cover) for selected title in playlist and media list.
In addition, some changes to the skin system became necessary or useful.
- Background graphics can be defined for individual areas, with various options for alignment
- Adjustability of some further colors, also in " extended skin system ", e.g. the font color in the lists
- Bouncing bars in the taskbar preview removed. Instead more space for the title information and a small progress bar.
- Selection of sleep mode no longer via a deeply nested menu but via a separate window
- Minor changes to the display of titles in the playlist
- Deskband for Windows XP removed from the archive. It is still supported in principle, but since Nemp is no longer fully compatible with Windows XP, this is just unnecessary ballast.
New features in 4.10
Some small details required relatively extensive changes to the source code. I hope that everything works again - better than before.
- improved display of progress for longer lasting operations (updating library, searching lyrics, ...)
- using https instead of http (where it is possible)
- fixed and improved lyric search
- Party Mode is more restricted now, fixed some display issues
- a few mean bug fixes (some uncommon sequences of clicking buttons could have lead to crashing the player)
- fixed possible (but rather unlikely) data loss when getting lyrics or extended tags
- removing playlist files from the media library did not work
New features in 4.9
- Memory-saving loading and saving of the media library. With that, a lot bigger music collections should be managable with Nemp - up to 1.000.000 titles should be no problem now.
- Log file for the playlist: When was which title played?
- Setting: Remove missing files from the media library on start
- new Skin ("Blue)" available
- Performance of the G15 display app significantly improved and thereby greatly reduced the CPU load.
New features in 4.8.0
- Option to mark files in the library.
- Support for SoundFont files to play MIDI files. (Rather a bugfix.)
- Options "Extend Search" and "Refine Search" removed from detailed search
- Command line parameter /close to terminate the running instance.
New features in 4.7.0
- Search in the playlist. Next hit with F3, Enter marks everything, Shift+Enter plays the currently selected track
- Always a "tag cloud light" in the bottom right: Double click the artist, album, genre or a tag to list all music files with this property
- Option: In Repeat track playback mode, play only the current entry in a cuesheet, and not the entire file
- Option: Weighted random play. Highly rated titles in the playlist are more likely to be selected than those with a low rating (or vice versa)
- Option: Default cover selectable (displayed if no cover was found)
Changes and bug-fixes in 4.7.0
- Minor changes to the GUI of the tag cloud
- Settings window revised. All options are always displayed
- But some of these were sorted more sensibly and a little bit purified. Some old and very rarely used options have been dropped, some others have been added
- Changes to some default settings that were relics of the past and caused confusion rather than clarity
- Bugfix: The app for the keyboard display now showed the current title when playing Webradio, and not permanently the title that was active at the start of the stream (if the channel sends suitable metadata)
- Bugfix: Setting in the display app "Start display app with Nemp" is now correctly applied by Nemp
- Bugfix: More reliable saving of window positions when switching between compact view and single window mode
- Bugfix: Some webstreams seemed to block Nemp, fixed by an own HTTP user agent instead of the bass. dll standard.
- Bugfix: last. fm Sessionkey was saved incorrectly after changing the service
Bugfix in 4.6.2
- Encoding issue in the webserver solved: Non-Ascii-Characters have not been displayed correctly
Bug-fixes and changes in 4.6.1
- Setting to switch off the advanced skin system, with default "off" for Windows XP
- When the playlist is empty, but a title is still running, it will be played to the end, if new tracks are enqueued into the playlist
- GUI: Scrobber/Birthday/Webserver on/off is now one menu item
- GUI: The current skin is checked in the menu
- GUI: information "x file(s) selected" and similar now different for singular/plural
- Setting "Do NOT begin playback on start" did not work, if the player was stopped before closing
- G15-app doesn't show an error message on start, when no G15 is found.
New in version 4.6
- Support for iTunes tags (m4a)
- Fast start of playback (on network drives)
- Walkman mode: Fluttering on low battery
- New default skin, new logo and icons
- Settings dialog changed
- several bugfixes, including the "out of memory" issue on large music collections
New in version 4.5
- Support for Apev2-Tags
- A-B repeat
- Skipping silence at the end of track
- Getting "CD No." or "Part of a Set" from albums with more than one disk
- several settings, minor changes at the GUI, bugfixes
New in version 4.4
- Revised Webserver for remote control: Customizable in layout and function through "themes"; more features (sort playlist, delete files from playlist, browse in the library, "vote" for files); two user groups (user and admin) with different rights
- new feature: Insert headphone file directly into the playlist and start playback immediatly from the current position
- Drag&drop will insert the files AFTER the selected track, not BEFORE it.
- some bugfixes and minor changes at the GUI
New in version 4.3
- better support for CD audio
- revised "Clean up media library" and "refresh library"
- When dragging the position slider, the destination time is displayed
- Soundcard selection "Default device"
- some bugfixes and minor changes at the GUI
New in version 4.2
- Media keys should work now again
- Ctrl+V will insert files at the selected position
- Nemp Wizard, to setup some basic settings on first start
- Everthing, which change audio files or create new files on the users harddisk (except configuration files in the /data directory) is now Opt-IN. The wizard will check just these things
New in version 4.1
- Support of Flac- and Ogg-tags (read/write)
- Support for the Logitech G15 display
- Copy&Paste: When pressing Ctrl+Shift+C, a proper m3u playlist file is created
- Feature "Copy playlist to USB" with optional renaming of the files
- Equalizer-settings: Easy switching between presets
- Webserver: Setting for "Port"
- Push-to-talk shortcut (F8)
- File details: Editing additional tags (for the tagcloud)
- recording Webradio: Setting "Stream as directory"
- Coverflow: Change at quicksearch; Show missing covers first/last; Clearing the cache
- ID3-tag editor: check read-only-flag of the files
- feature "Show files with missing tags"
- Option "Delete item" for missing "recent playlists"
- Add webradio: Just show a simple Input box, as at the Play button
- Non mp3/ogg/flac-files cannot be edited (including lyrics and extended tags). Only exception: ratings
- Setting for displaying useful data, when some date ais missing (like "show directory if album data is missing")
- Nemp can be closed, even if the library is currently updating
- GUI: Drag&Drop to headphone, from headphone to playlist, from detail-cover to playlist and headphone
- Method "reinit player engine" led to an exception
- If no track number data was entered, Nemp will not write "0" into the ID3v2tag, but just nothing
Bugfix in version 4.0.1
- Rating has not been saved into the ID3Tag, if the play counter was 0
New in version 4.0
- new coverflow: modern look&feel, albums without cover a seperated by directory, automatic download of missing covers (Opt-IN)
- Browse mode "tagcloud". Automatic setting of extended tags (like "singer-songwriter") by LastFM, Display of most common tags in different font sizes. A double click on a tag will create a new cloud, limited to files with the selected tag
- Sorting by file age, for browsing grouped by month
- Columns for file type (mp3, ogg, ..) and play counter
- Expanded cover display aside the library: Display of further information, editing is possible
- Editing file details directly in the main window. Begin editing after two clicks or key F2. Changing the rating by on click
- Automatic adaption of rating of frequently played files. The change depends on the play counter (often played tracks will change less)
- Extended support for Windows7: Customized preview window in the taskbar, buttons for volume control, progress bar
- When saving the playlist with just one album an appropriate filename is suggested ("artist - album")
- Direct playback from the library without changing the playlist
- "Prebook-list" in the playlist, i.e. change order of playback through numeric keys
- playlist history. A click on "previous title" will jump to the previous title (even in random mode)
- Party mode with customizable zoom (1.5x, 2x, 2.5x) for bigger buttons, reduced menus, less functions (like no editing/deleting the library, editing Id3-Tags, ...)
- Better webradio favourites: Custom sort, export as pls playlist
- Random playlist extended: Duration and tags as criteria
- GUI: After Click into the player part, the mouse wheel changes volume. Resizing seperate windows possible at the border, not only at the bottom right.
- Hedphone control integrated into the main window